Muffins are the best. But if you don’t have a good basic recipe for the base of your muffin..then they’re not that great.
Today, we’ll strip all the variations, mix-ins, improvements, fancy stuff and focus on simple, plain and basic vegan muffin recipe that you can use for pretty much any muffin variation you want later on.
Basic Vegan Muffin Recipe
Plain and ready for your creativity this basic vegan muffin recipe yields 12 muffins and takes 30 min to make. If you want to use it for savory muffins add less sugar.
2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
½ cup sugar
1 flax egg
1⁄4 cup oil
1 cup plant milk
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (355ºF). Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan or put in muffin liners.
- Combine the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, sugar. Set aside.
- Combine the wet ingredients – milk, oil, flax egg.
- Add wet mix to the dry mix (not the other way around) and mix or blend until smooth.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 or 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let them cool for at least 5 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan.
note to yourself:
- If you overdo the stirring of ingredients muffins tend to turn out more dense (brick-like) and not as fluffy as we would want them to be. To avoid this brick phenomena stop stirring as soon as the ingredients are combined and smooth.
- I do mine in a blender because it’s faster. If you want to do it in a blender, simply and dry ingredients in a blender jug and blend for couple of seconds. Then add in dry ingredients and blend for another 15 seconds or until thoroughly combined. Done.
- You can use any type of flour from white, wholemeal, rye or a mix of all of them.
- If you use a self-raising flour, then you can skip baking powder.