This is hands down, the best vegan chili recipe ever. Although it has quite a lot of ingredients, the chili itself doesn’t take long to make – about an hour or so. It freezes well so make a big pot of it and freeze it for busy times.
This particular recipe also has a special place in my heart because it is the very first vegan recipe my mum asked for – shout out to my mama and her amazing cooking.
Best Vegan Chili Recipe
Yields: 8 servings
Total time: 1 hour
- extra virgin coconut oil for sauteing
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1 cm cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 2 x 400 g (14 oz.) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 400 g (14 oz.) can mixed beans
- 1 cup sweetcorn kernels
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 fresh jalapeno chili (*Optional: I can’t handle spicy so I skipped jalapeno)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (*Optional: I can’t handle spicy so I skipped cayenne)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- In a large pot, saute onion, garlic, chili, squash and pepper in coconut oil.
- After couple of minutes when they’re all covered in oil add spices and stir for another 3 min.
- Add tomatoes, bring to simmer on low heat while stirring.
- After 10 min add chickpeas, mixed beans, sweetcorn and cilantro. Stir and cook until squash is cooked – for about another 15 min.
note to yourself:
- Feel free to use any other veggies that you like or have in a fridge.
- To freeze it let it cool down completely and then put it in a containers. Will keep for up to 3 months.
- To defrost it, put in a fridge overnight.
- Will keep in fridge for 3 -4 days.