I eat baked beans for breakfast at least 3 times a week. I love them. They are simple to make, taste great and keep you satisfied for a long time. Also, they’re so cheap! If you want to save some money, here’s my advice: buy 500g bag of dry beans – it costs less than $2, and make a week’s worth batch of baked beans.
Out of 500g dry beans you get 3 full, 500g jars of baked beans, which is most likely enough for Monday – Friday workdays.
5 baked beans breakfasts = $5 and hopefully, you’re not working in a closed environment 😉
Back on track, you can make baked beans from canned or dry beans – we’ll cover both so you’ll be ready to make your own batch and decide how and when you want to devour it.
Simple Baked Beans Recipe
Using Canned Beans
Using canned beans is probably the quickest and easiest way to prepare your own baked beans. A lot of recipes ask for navy or canellini beans, but personally, I think any type of beans will do.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 2 cups (400g) canned beans of your choice
- 3 tomatoes, chopped or 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- Saute onion and garlic on a heated olive oil. Add herbs and spiced. Stir and cook for 1 min.
- Add tomatoes and sugar. Bring to simmer.
- Add beans, stir to combine.
- Cook for another 5 min, stirring often.
note to yourself:
- To get rid of the tomatoes acidity, simmer tomatoes for at least 20 min.
- You can substitute tomatoes with tomato paste or passata.
- Once your baked beans are done, you can put it in jars and keep it in fridge for up to 4 days. Or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Using Dry Beans
The ingredients and directions are almost the same as when using canned beans. However, using dry beans you need to soak the beans overnight. Drain and rinse. It’s important to pre-soak beans and then rinse them – this way you won’t be as fartsy artsy as if you’d cook them straight from dry. So pre-soak, drain and rinse. Then bring to boil in gently simmer for roughly 45 min.
When the beans are cooked, prepare the sauce as described above (using canned beans).
note to yourself:
- How to know when beans are perfectly cooked? Scoop a spoonful out of the simmering water and gently blow on them. If the skin peels of they’re done.
If you liked what you’ve read, please leave a comment below so we can chat some more.. or find me on social platforms, under the “Rudimental Pantry”..just click that FB icon below and I’ll talk to you soon.
Your comment help to push this post so more people can read it and find the info they were looking for.
I love hearing from you guys.
Till next time,