Vegan or no vegan, cream cheese tastes so good. And being a vegan, I do miss the consistency and the taste of it.
From experience, you’re better off making your own than buying one – store bought vegan substitutes for cream cheese are like playing a roulette, some taste pretty good while others are a rubbish material. All of them are expensive.
The bad news is, no matter what you read or do, nothing tastes like cream cheese but cream cheese itself. The good news is, here’s the very closest vegan substitute for cream cheese I came across. The recipe is from Gaz Oakley’s book, Vegan 100. If you’re super new to vegan you may not heard of him, and if so, go follow him on social media because he knows what he’s doing and his recipes hit the spot every time.
Vegan Substitute For Cream Cheese
Creamy, a bit tangy and great on fresh bread.
- ¾ cup cashews
- ½ cup cashew milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp dried onion granules
- Pre-soak cashew (overnight or quick-soak for 20 min in boiling water).
- Pour away the water cashews has been soaking in.
- Put cashews and the rest of the ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend until smooth and cream like.
note to yourself:
- You’ll probably need to use spatula and push the ingredients back to the mix in order to get in blended well.
- If the “cream” is to thick add more milk are bland again.
- Will keep in fridge for 2 -3 days.
If you liked what you’ve read, please leave a comment below so we can chat some more on the topic
You can also find me on social platforms, under the “Rudimental Pantry”..just click that FB icon below and I’ll talk to you soon.
I love hearing from you guys.
Till next time,